Extended Kinship Guardianship Assistance Program


  • For youth eligible to receive federal foster care benefits while in foster care
  • Prospective guardian and child welfare agency must execute the negotiated Voluntary Placement Agreement prior to the date when the court orders the guardianship


  • For non-federally-eligible youth placed by juvenile court in an approved home of a CalWORKs funded relative


  • Youth must have been declared a dependent of the juvenile court.
  • Youth must reside with an approved relative guardian for at least 6 consecutive months or a have voluntary placement agreement.
  • Youth must have a kinship guardianship established with that relative by juvenile court.
  • Youth must have his/her court case dismissed by either the dependency court or the delinquency court at the same time or subsequent to the establishment of the guardianship.
  • The relative guardian and the county agency (or Indian tribe) must negotiate and enter into a written, Kin-GAP agreement setting forth the amount of payment. (Note: This agreement does not have to be completed prior to the court ordering guardianship for purposes of eligibility for the state Kin-GAP program).


Eligible Populations

  • Youth whose negotiated Kin-GAP payments commenced before they turned 16 but who are expected to complete high school or an equivalent program before they turn 19 can continue to receive Kin-GAP until they first graduate or turn 19, whichever comes first. Form: KG1 Mutual Agreement

  • A youth, regardless of age of entry into Kin-GAP, may continue to receive Kin-GAP up until age 21 if he/she has a physical or mental disability that warrants continuing assistance beyond age 18 and up until 21. Form: KG3 Mutual Agreement

Re-Entering Foster Care for Youth in Guardianships

If the legal guardian of a youth’s whose receiving extended Kin-GAP payments under the state or federal Kin-GAP or as a Non-Related Legal Guardian whose guardianship was established in dependency court, dies prior to the youth reaching 21, or the youth’s guardian is no longer providing ongoing support to, and is no longer receiving payment on behalf of the youth, the youth can petition the court to enter extended foster care.